Sunday, August 8, 2010

a very brief history of ska!

This entry is a shout out to my Friend Wallace wells(AKA nick) who thinks that i am the master of ska music. I don't like to brag because that is so not true. But i know enough to give a basic origin of the genre.
Okay lets start with the different types of ska there are. the first generation that was started in Jamaica which was a combo of different styles rocksteady,jazz .this later gave way to reggae cause ska is the grandfather of reggae music
second generation was basically the birth of 2-tone. this was the combination of ska and London punk. that's the reason the most famous ska band of the time where from Europe the specials and madness arguably the most well known.
then third wave which was made popular by operation ivy is known by most as ska punk because it was a combination of hardcore punk and ska. this is the most resent and the most well known having bands that where about fun and acceptance. this is the type of ska I was born into the type I've been singing since I was five and the one with my favorite bands. this genre had bands that include The aquabats, reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones, save ferris, less then jake, streetlight manifesto, goldfinger etc. most of these bands are still out there rocking out though some like goldfinger, the aquabats have changed their style, though still good it ain't as good as the skanking music from the 1900s.
this style is no longer as popular since its hit its peak somewhere in the 1990s being on TV show like digimon and movies like baseketball. but don't despair because unlike how people like to think ska is not dead I've seen things on the Internet that give me hope and that are pretty creative like ska mixed with old school rap syles. just gotta have patience because no matter what the future holds there will always be room for the underdog of music ska.(that was so cheesy :D)
ps check this out rude boy the original site is http://www.dobi.nu/yourscenesucks/ its good if you want to make fun of your Friends that actually look like that!
pps if anyone wants to correct me they are welcomed to!

3 comments:

  1. Wow that was very educational! I love learning about music history. I'm happy you mentioned Operation Ivy which sadly they and reel big fish are the only bands I know that you mentioned. I'll have to check out some of the other bands you mentioned :)

    http://books-music-life.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for liking my first post about my favorite type of music. I also liked your blog loved the top 5 dudes in music. stay posted because my next thing will be my top 10 ska bands! thanks for the feedback :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I can't wait to read that! Always love to learn about new bands :)

    ReplyDelete